Skip to main content

just a thought

Lately, I've been thinking alot about my brother. Monday is his birthday. He would be turning 30. It's hard to believe that its been 6 years and 5 months since he was murdered. As time goes by, the memory remains but the pain begins to lessen. Maybe the pain doesn't completely go away, but it gets smaller and sometimes you forget about it. And then you may be driving or doing something, and all of a sudden it hits you. The memories flood out.
I think about all the missed memories - memories I won't have of him. Him at my college graduation, him at my wedding, or even him celebrating his 30th birthday. He spent 23 years and 7 months on this earth. That's too short.
I remember praying for him every time I knelt down to pray. I definitely had a burden for him. One night he called for my mom to pick him up, he had overdosed. I remember praying hard for him to be okay as he shook and kept repeating how scared he was. He was fine the next day. I realized how close he was to death that night and I begin to pray harder for him. My last prayer for him that I can still remember was "Lord, I would be happy if he would just come to the alter on his own and cry out to you." Of course I wanted him to receive the Holy Ghost, but I knew that if he went on his own to pray, then he was serious about changing his life. My prayer was answered. One Sunday night during alter call he went up to pray on his own. I knew that this was going to be a big turning point in his life. Things would get better from then on. Wrong. Just a couple days later, we get a phone call saying that they found his body. He was just getting on the right path, and then his path ends before he could actually get there.
It would be a lie if I said that I understand why this happened, because I don't. I've learned some things though. I've learned how to trust in God. There's no way my parents and I couldv'e survived this if it wasn't for God. We knew that He would be with us through the rough times. We also had reassurance knowing that we had a church family praying for us. I've also learned that God will not put more on me than I can bear. If he puts it on me, then He knows I can handle it. I've also grown to love Job 23:10. "But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. " All the trials we go through, strenghtens us and make us stronger. True gold withstands the fire.

Comments

COME ON BABY said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
COME ON BABY said…
Anna you are so sweet. He was lucky to have you for the 23 years he was on this earth. XOXO
(I should read my comments before I post them or learn how to spell)
Miss Riya said…
Just wanted to let you know that I read your post....very touching.
LoVe & PrAyErs,
-Me
Hey Sweetie, It only took me a couple houra to remember how to post comments again on blogspot. I tell ya, I do believe that I am a reasonable intelligent person but I have such difficulty with this site. Anyway, I persisted because I want to say to you; You and I have shared some personal stories and I know that Monday is going to be a difficult day for you. I have a special surprise for you. I will give it to you at 12 noon on Monday. Take care and I will see you then. Hugs, Pam
Anna said…
I have a bunch of awesome friends! I appreciate and I am thankful for all of you. Love you guys!
JeanSkirtGirl said…
Dear anna

I think you are so strong girl just like me I know how it's feel to lost someone so close I lost my Dad when I was a little girl I knoe Its hard but u know what we have each other. I and I want u to know that I love u so I pray for and u pray for me love carmencita
Anonymous said…
I remember him and the story you told me in high school. I'm sorry Anna... truly sorry.
Jennifer said…
Okay, let me go get some kleenex now. Very touching!! You guys are a very strong family. I'm sure that one day God is going to use you to help someone go thru similar situations. I know your mom has been there for me when I went thru a very serious time, and I appreciate her for being sensitive to the Spirit. I love ya'll and appreciate ya'll very much. God Bless!!!